Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My mother was dianosed as dementia and depression
07-29-2012, 01:12 PM
My mother was dianosed as dementia and depression
my mother was admitted to the hospital and she was dianosed as dementia and depression and given IV fluids, and put on Zoloft; since she got out of the hospital she sits on the couch and does crossword puzzles, and nothing else; I have been preparing her meals and she will eat small amounts of soft, sweet food only, but has no interest in preparing the meals or doing anything else; could this dementia have been caused by the severe dehydration and possibly clear up in a while? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2012, 01:16 PM
RE: My mother was dianosed as dementia and depression
Dementia affects many many people in the older population. The most common cause of dementia is Alzheimer's Disease. Other causes include strokes, brain tumors, head trauma, thyroid deficiency, and vitamin B12 deficiency, to name a few. Memory impairment with a history of incontinence may be suggestive of normal pressure hydrocephalus, especially if associated with an abnormal gait, and can be confirmed with a CAT scan of the head.

The general treatment approach to dementia is to provide supportive medical care - proper nutrition, exercise and supervision of daily activity, medications for specific symptoms, and emotional support for patients and their families. Dementia usually progresses slowly, or may improve if causes such as hydrocephalus, thyroid deficiency, or vitamin B12 deficiency are treated early. There are now medications such as Aricept that will help improve cognitive loss, especially in Alzheimer's Disease.

Depression is common in dementia, with symptoms such as changes in appetite, lack of motivation and loss of interest, all of which can be treated with medications such as Zoloft. Sometimes depression can mimic dementia, a condition termed pseudodementia. It is important in these cases to aggressively treat depression, and when treated successfully, the cognitive loss improves.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply